South Broadway Press is currently seeking submissions for our online journal.
Submissions will be open through the end of May (extended from February).
South Broadway Press is also currently seeking editors for our journal.
South Broadway Ghost Society is an online literary and arts journal, showcasing writing and art.
This journal and our books are produced in Denver, Colorado, which is located on Cheyenne, Ute, and Arapaho land. If you are curious whose land you may be occupying, you can find information on Native Land Digital.
You can always reach us with questions at email@example.com
- Please send up to 5 previously unpublished poems to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please interpret “poetry” as you will. We accept submissions of prose, video poems, collage poems, erasures, you name it
- We consider poems published on personal blogs and social media as previously published
- Please put “Online Journal” in the subject of your email
- Please attach your poems as a .doc or Google doc, if possible. If you are unable to do so, please just include them in the body of the email
- Please include a third-person bio up to 100 words
- Please include your pronouns, if you’d like to
- Please include a headshot
- Please include links to any social media. We try to share author’s pieces on our Facebook and Instagram
- We respond to most submissions in 3-6 months, if not sooner
BIPOC and LGBTQIA2S+ poets, and anyone from an underrepresented group are highly encouraged to submit. As a journal, we understand that the United States, as well as much of the developed world, has been created as a white patriarchal Christian heterosexual capitalist landscape, and this has and continues to perpetuate oppression and violence. Part of our mission is to challenge these doctrines for better ones. We believe in love, and that love often looks radical and disruptive during its time.
What We Look For
To truly get an idea of the kind of work we publish, we recommend taking some time to review some of the pieces from our past editions of the journal.
We are not a horror journal. South Broadway Ghost Society as a name speaks more to the way things remain even after time has passed.
South Broadway is in reference to the South Broadway region of Denver, a long-wide strip of road that dives straight towards downtown Denver. South Broadway is lined with eclectic shops ranging from sex shops, to anarchist book stores, to local craft breweries, to dive bar concert venues. South Broadway is gritty, it is alive, it’s the kind of neighborhood where you will see the same faces again and again. This sense of inclusivity and eclectic attitudes has been a large influence on the tone of our journal.
We believe one of the most important parts of the human experience is storytelling. That storytelling is a major vessel for human growth, one which fosters compassion and empathy. We like pieces that are intimate, pieces that challenge the status quo, pieces that our readers will be thinking about when they are driving home late at night. We believe in creating a rich journal and a space where most everyone feels comfortable sharing their experiences. We like humor, especially when that humor serves a bigger purpose.
We love to publish previously unpublished poets. If this would be your first publication, please note this in your submission. We also love to publish translations, and poems in multiple languages.